Neil Young posts video about philosphy behind latest release – A Treasure – available in CD, DVD and Vinyl

June 3, 2011

For our first Fresh and Frozen feature on June 5th, your friendly neighborhood Crustacean / DJ will play a track from the new Neil Young release A Treasure, recorded with the International Harvester band in the ’80s.  During the decade leading up to his 1989 timely Freedom album (propelled by “Rockin’ in the Free World” which he penned while the world witnessed the fall of the Berlin Wall) Neil put out a series of albums with divergent musical styles: Synth-Pop, Rockabilly, Country and Blues releases.  Short “Lobster Tale” – The blues contingent, The Bluenotes, with Crazy Horse’s Frank “Pancho” Sampedro switching from Guitar to Hammond B-3 Organ and a horn section.  For their tour of Northern California nightclubs, Neil asked me to be the on-stage announcer who brings the band on stage.  As the 11th Bluenote, I had a new appreciation for Neil’s guitar playing.  There was an entire movie plot around the band and it’s manager selling out the tour to “Zonk Cola” without the musicians knowing.  Sadly, it never became a Shakey Pictures release.  Would have given more context to the song “This Note’s For You,” which had the lyric “Ain’t singing for Pepsi, Ain’t singing for Coke.”  Keep in mind, Neil Young is among a handful of artists in our generation who have never sold their songs for commercial endorsements.  Tom Petty and Bruce Springsteen are also in that truly exclusive club.  “Shakey” was also Neil’s bluesman persona, and on that tour, no known Neil Young songs were played.  Just THE BLUES.  Funniest incident on the tour was a club in Salinas where a fan in front of the stage kept demanding “Play Cinnamon Girl, Man!” At one point, Neil as Shakey asked; “How much did you pay to get in here?”  “Ten dollars” the patron replied (remember, this was 1987).  At that point, Shakey fished a $10 bill out of his black jacket’s pocket and said “Here’s your money, there’s the door.  We’re The Bluenotes, and we don’t play those songs!”  The guy took the money and headed towards the exit, but later in the set, I saw him happily dancing around the front of the stage again.  But, I digress.  This is about the International Harvester band tour.  That country-tinged group had some of the finest players to ever grace a stage in Nashville.  One of them, the late great Ben Keith, passed away last year.  He was an extraordinary person and musician in Neil and Pegi Young’s extended musical family.  I always enjoyed being around him.  Occasionally I return to the Redwoods above Woodside, where I first lived after moving West from NYC.  Last time we saw each other was at the bar of The Mountain House on Skyline Boulevard, up the road from his Broken Arrow ranch home.  Damn, Ben will be missed.  Glad I got to raise a glass with him one last time.  Let’s let Neil tells the story in the video. http://www.neilyoung.com/treasure-technotesvideo.html

No Comments »

1. RjfMFk https://www.genericpharmacydrug.com

Comment by Judi — May 12, 2018 @ 2:54 pm

2. I was very happy to find this net-site.I wanted to thanks on your time for this excellent read!! I positively having fun with every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you weblog post.

Comment by chouqin — June 27, 2018 @ 4:38 am

3. I precisely had to say thanks once more. I’m not certain the things I would’ve followed without these concepts documented by you directly on such topic. It seemed to be a real frightful circumstance for me, nevertheless spending time with a skilled tactic you dealt with that took me to leap with contentment. Extremely grateful for your support and as well , trust you are aware of a powerful job you are always doing instructing many people by way of your webblog. Probably you’ve never come across any of us.

Comment by nmd — July 10, 2018 @ 10:05 am

4. An attention-grabbing dialogue is worth comment. I feel that you must write more on this subject, it won’t be a taboo subject but generally persons are not enough to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers

Comment by Adidas NMD x Supreme Camouflage1 — July 16, 2018 @ 4:25 pm

5. I simply needed to appreciate you once more. I do not know what I would have done without these solutions contributed by you about such a theme. It was a real difficult circumstance in my position, but witnessing a well-written style you handled that took me to jump over joy. Extremely thankful for the work as well as trust you realize what a powerful job you are providing training men and women via your blog post. Most likely you haven’t encountered any of us.

Comment by oakley sale — July 28, 2018 @ 7:47 pm

6. Oh my goodness! a tremendous article dude. Thank you Nonetheless I’m experiencing subject with ur rss . Don抰 know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody getting an identical rss problem? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

Comment by nike dunk shoes — August 14, 2018 @ 10:03 am